My friends at Edgeryders, a social enterprise focused on bringing to bear collective intelligence for the betterment of the human condition (https://www.edgeryders.org/), are hiring a lead ethnographer to participate in research projects and contribute to the company’s scientific mission: making ethnography into a collaborative discipline that works at scale. Interesting scholars please apply and we will work together!
This position is permanent, location-independent, flex-time and non-exclusive. It involves coordinating other ethnographers.
- Permanent: not tied to any specific project. As lead ethnographer, you are a key part of planning future research activities.
- Location-independent. Edgeryders is an office-less company. We are comfortable working online most of the time. If you happen to be in Brussels, Stockholm or Split we have office space you can use, but that is not a prerequisite. You will occasionally be asked to travel, and your travel expenses will be covered.
- Flex-time. For each new project, we can agree how much time you need or want to devote to it. In 2022, we foresee a commitment of about 30%, negotiable.
- Non-exclusive. The position is explicitly designed so that it is compatible with holding academic positions. We value a relationship with academia. As an additional perk, Edgeryders has an open access policy on all its research: you are allowed, and in fact encouraged, to publish your own papers based on our data.
- Coordinating other ethnographers. When projects are large or require coding in languages not mastered by you, we hire more ethnographers. You are expected to coordinate them, ensuring methodological rigor and consistency.
Compensation depends on worktime, which in turn depends on your own availability and the pipeline of research projects at any given time. Most of our research projects pay 6,000 to 6,300 EUR per month full time equivalent. We are currently working on two projects, and actively applying for more. The budget allocated to the lead ethnographer for these two projects is 32,000 EUR, most of them in 2022.
- Trained in the theory and practice of ethnography.
- Comfortable performing online ethnography.
- Experience with qualitative data analysis, specifically qualitative coding. The software is unimportant as we have our own, which you will be trained to use.
- Ability to collaborate with other ethnographers.
- Flexibility and willingness to engage in productive dialogue around coding decisions— good communication skills are a must.
- Strong organization skills – must be available for periodical check-ins.
- Strong commitment to research ethics and data protection.
- Good knowledge of English. Other languages are a plus.
- Participate in the scientific direction of the company.
- Perform hands-on ethnographic research, including interviews, participant observations, coding, qualitative data analysis, writing reports and papers.
- Coordinate other ethnographers.
- Liaise with the company’s scientific partners on matters concerning ethnographic research.
- Uphold, and if possible exceed, the company’s standards in research ethics (see 1) and privacy and data protection (see), as well as those of the entities funding our research.
- Advise and help with research funding applications.
Write to firstname.lastname@example.org. Include:
- A short motivation letter, explaining why you want to do this and why you think you can deliver.
- A CV.
Applications will be reviewed as they are received until openings are filled.