We have a new opportunity at the University of Turin – Department of Economic, Social, Mathematical and Statistical Sciences for a research fellow position on the project “Sustainable cities and digital participation. Analysing and modelling digital social innovation processes in the governance of urban sustainability in Turin and Brussels”.
I wrote this project in close collaboration with Alberto Cottica at Edgeyders and my colleague at UniTo Paolo Giaccaria. This has been granted research funds from the Italian Minister of University and Research – PON Ricerca e Innovazione.
We are offering a three years research fellow position starting in February 2022, part of those three years will be spent physically at Edgeryders‘ Brussels office, where the Research Network has its lair (see the call presentation on Edgeryders’ website)
The official language of the call is Italian (find the call here) but the application, interview and research output can be written or conducted in both Italian and English. Below a short unofficial summary of the call in English.
1 fixed-term (36 months) full-time researcher (assistant professor equivalent) position starting in February 2022 and ending in January 2025
Host institution: Department of Economic, Social, Mathematical and Statistical Sciences (ESOMAS), University of Turin + Edgeryders
Salary: approx. € 25.000/year
Deadline for application: 26th October 2021
Brief project description: The project revolves around the identification, analysis and modeling of digitally enabled social innovation initiatives for tackling sustainability challenges in the city and fueling democratic participation processes. By adopting qualitative-quantitative research methods (including web-mining and mapping, Semantic Social Network Analysis, participatory observation, discourse analysis and in-deep interviews) the researcher will investigate the operational practices and the knowledge sharing fluxes that characterise the work of the social innovators working on (socio) environmental sustainability challenges in Turin and Bruxelles. Urban regeneration processes performed via ecological co-housing, green infrastructure restoration and public space commoning are potentially investigated.
The researcher is expected to:
· base in Turin and spend 8 months visiting period (compulsory) in Bruxelles to work with Edgeryders (a research-based social enterprise that connects a global community of thousands of social innovators, activists, makers and technologists to investigate collective intelligence, promoting community-building tools and cutting-edge research techniques);
· conduct the project according to the defined program and timeframe;
· acquire specialized skills in participatory socio-geographical research and digital ethnography (notably by using dedicated software for semantic social network analysis produced by Edgeryders);
· closely collaborate with Edgeryders and the University of Turin in writing and networking for further projects submission;
· produce scientific articles for international ISI journals;
· offer teaching modules in line with the research topic and not exceeding 6% of the total engagement time (1500 hours per year);
· prepare periodic research reports, communication material, and outreaching events.
Experience in critical geography, critical digital studies, urban participatory research and /or digital ethnography plus confidence in using qualitative and quantitative methods are essential requisites.
Openness to interdisciplinary research, adequate track record of research outputs, knowledge of Italian and French, while not required, can be an advantage in conducting the field work.
How to apply:
The selection procedure is open to applicants worldwide with a PhD or equivalent degree. Applicants must have the requirements at the closing date for the submission.
To participate in the selection, candidates must submit their application only using the procedure available here: https://pica.cineca.it/unito/
The candidates need to:
– complete the online application form,
– attach a CV (English or Italian; signed with an original signature and declaration of veracity as provided in Arts. 46 and 47 of Pres. Decree 445/2000);
– enclose maximum 12 publications (in pdf);
– enclose a photocopy of a valid identity document.
Deadline for application: 26th October 2021
Discussion with selected candidates: 6, 7 and 9th December 20221